In Search of Victory part-13

 25th September 1977,

Dear Diary,

                    I, Pol Pot believe in the future of the Democratic Republic of Kampuchea of which I serve as the Prime Minister. I believe that power must return to the people of Kampuchea which had been unjustly taken away by the imperialists and the so-called intelligentsia with the aid of America and China. Therefore I have sought to give power back to the people and declare war on the so-called intellectuals. That is why I have decided to promote complete communism in Kampuchea by promoting a complete transformation to an Agrarian society. This is because to promote communism we must give power back to the peasants and the common people of the land.

    Kampuchea must also be wary of the imperialist coalition between the United States, China, Japan and Korea in East Asia that is trying to exert its influence over South East Asia. Already the coalition is showing its true self with China and Japan behaving aggressively in the South China Sea and getting into frequent clashes with the Vietnamese navy. The coalition has also built joint military bases in Indonesia and Thailand and has attempted to thwart our efforts to liberate Indonesia and Thailand through these bases. This alliance has also sponsored the Free Kampuchea Movement which is a guerilla outfit which aims to usurp me but I know that their efforts will not bear fruit as I have the support of the Kampuchean people. The people will always support me against these imperialists because they know that only through communism can they attain freedom. Communism has always stood for the freedom of the oppressed and it will continue to do so. With China threatening to invade Vietnam to attain control over South East Asia, now is the time for the South East Asian peoples to assert their independence, That is why we have formed an alliance with Vietnam and the USSR to create a communist nexus in the region to rival the imperialists. 

    I still remember my struggle of the early days when I was a student in Paris had joined the communist party and later after returning to Phenom Penh had involved myself in the Communist struggle. I had fought against the king Nordom Sihanouk and after he was deposed, against the President Lon Noi. I had retreated to the jungles of Vietnam and had allied myself with the Vietnamese guerilla who were fighting against the US. The South East Asian peoples had defeated the imperialists then as they will do so now. Long live Kampuchea!

Comments

Post a Comment