In Search of Victory part-16

 2nd February 1982,

Dear Diary,

                     I, Menachem Begin, the Prime Minister of Israel believe in the future of my country, the future of the Jewish race and in the words of the founding father of Israel, David Ben Guiron. My country is indeed facing a difficult future as it is isolated from the whole of the Middle East which is dominated by the Arabs who pose a major challenge to us, Zionists. Already Egypt has again started aggressive military exercises against us as a military officer named Hosni Mubarak has seized power over there. He has assassinated Anwar Sadat who had succeeded Nasser. Another war with Egypt will undo whatever good was achieved through the Camp David Accords in 1979 but Israel will respond to all forms of aggression against it with equal force. Already we have information that Egypt is sponsoring terrorist organizations in the Gaza strip and in the West Bank who have been behind several attacks against Israeli military assets in these regions.

    We face an even greater military threat from Iran and Lebanon while the former continues to host terrorist organizations, the latter destabilizes the situation even further by extending support to those organizations. Therefore we have had to invade Lebanon to reign these terrorist organizations. But the war has not been easy for us. We have faced considerable opposition from international organizations who have condemned us in the name of human rights. But we will continue our war as the security of Israel cannot be compromised. We will also not let any of our Arab neighbours develop weapons of mass destruction that they can use to cause harm to us. That is why I sanctioned the bombing and the destruction of the Osirak nuclear reactor in Iraq.

    However, one silver lining for us is that the new US President Ronald Reagan has extended support to us and has assured us that our partnership is important for the US in the near future. I know that with the support of the US, we can prosper and can cement our position in the Middle East.

    I still remember my days during the struggle for independence from British rule when I opened my own outfit named Irgun to oppose the British mandate in Palestine. My beliefs since then have not changed since then. It is that I wish to create a homeland for my people just like our founding father, David Ben Guiron. This is the reason why I fought the Arabs in the 1948 war in order to consolidate our rights over our homeland. Long live Israel! Long live Zionism!

Comments

Post a Comment